THEODORE D. NELLEN
Family Page -
Teaching Experience |
Professional Affiliations |
If you can't find something on this page, put the original URL into the WayBack machine engine.
Retired February 1, 2012
English Teacher at Edward A Reynolds Westside HS, 140 West
102 St, NY, NY 10025. 2006 - 2012.
English Teacher at Information Technology HS 21-16 44th Road,
LIC, NY 11101. 2003 - 2006. *
for Region 4 NYCDOE. 2000 - 2003.
Teachers College Teaching of
English and English Education Adjunct, 2004.
Fordham University Graduate School of Education,
Adjunct, 2000 - 2004.
Cybrarian, Alternative High Schools, NYC BOE. 2001 - 2003.
Murry Bergtraum High School, 411 Pearl Street, New
York, NY 10038. 1983 - 2000
Enterprise Coordinator, Computer Coordinator, Chapter One Coordinator, WebMaster
- Member SBM/SDM team, Member UFT Executive Board, Member Principal's Cabinet
- WebMaster: Maintain school web site.
- Technology Coordinator/Mentor
- Assistant to English Department Chairperson: Scheduling and curriculum development.
Bergtraum Adult Education Center, 411 Pearl
Street, New York.
- General Assistant: Computer and English Coordinator
- Instructor: English Grammar, Effective Writing, Word Perfect, Desktop Publishing,
Classroom Connect University, Guide and TA, 1999 - 2003.
Marlboro College Graduate Center Adjunct, 2001 - 2003.
New School Online University, Adjunct, 1999 - 2001.
City University of New York, Convent
Ave @ 138th Street, New York, NY. 1997.
- Urban Scholars Program: Consortium with five Manhattan High Schools
Marymount College, 221 East 71st Street, New York. 1992-1995.
- Computer Applications in the Classroom.
Easthampton, Massachusetts. 1978-1979.
English, Yearbook Advisor
Fay School, Southboro,
English, Yearbook Advisor
Mountain School, Lakeville, Connecticut. 1974-1977.
Vice President, New York Chapter, Internet Society. 2001.
Member Advisory Board Digital Divide
sponsored by Benton Foundation and AOL Foundation. 10/99
Co-editor PracticalTheory, a NYC teacher zine discussing and promoting the effective use of technology in our classrooms.
Member Executive Board, Assembly on Computers in English, NCTE, http://english.ttu.edu/ace/, since 9/98.
Member New York New Media Association, 55 Broad
Street, New York, NY.
Member Instructional Technology Committee, NCTE, http://www.cc.ysu.edu/tej/proflinks.htm since 11/97.
Member of New York City Distant Learning Coalition, http://mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us/nycdlc/ since 9/97.
Co-Chair of Teacher and Student Use of Electronic Online
Communication Committee, http://mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us/use/
Member Advisory Board, Digital Clubhouse, 55
Broad St, New York, NY.
Member Association of Computer Educators, NYC, since 9/96.
Copy Editor, MEME by
David Bennahum, 09/96 - 12/97.
Editorial Board, Kairos, 08/96 - present.
Member Manhattan Superintendent's Technology Committee, New York City BOE, since 1995
Editor, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Publications,
Hosiery & Underwear, New York. 1979-1981.
U.S. Army, Military Police, 1968-1970 Vietnam, Honorable Discharge.
- 1999: Scholar in the Program for K-12 Teachers and
Teacher Educators, Carnegie
Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- 1999: Named to eSchoolNews First Impact 30 group.
- 1995: Board of Education, Manhattan High School Finalist, Teacher of the Year
- 1993: Reliance Award, Finalist: Teacher of the Year for Manhattan High School
- 1986: English Speaking Union scholarship to Stratford-upon-Avon
Highlights for CyberEnglish
- Articles about CyberEnglish. http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/#art
- Mar 1992: New York Times, March 18, 1992, Going
Back to Classics To Cultivate English http://www.tnellen.com/ted/nyt-vety.html
- Sept 1995: Journal: Sept 13, 1995 - Oct 4, 1997 Cyber English An Internet Project
- Apr 1996: NYTimes CyberTimes article: The Struggle to Teach
Virtual Ethics April 24, 1996 http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/week/0424ethics.html
- May 1996: Better Basics
not Back to Basics WebGeist May 15, 1996. http://web.archive.org/web/19990208233116/http://www.bsc.nodak.edu/English/webgeist/nellen.htm
- Jun 1996: Kairos Nick and Ted's Excellent IBM
E-Summit June 1996. http://english.ttu.edu/kairos/1.2/news/ibm/forum.html
- Jun 1996: The Curriculum Is the Net, And the Kids
Are Learning from The CyberTimes June 24,1996. http://web.archive.org/web/20041208120519/http://mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us/cybereng/nyt/mbhs-tdn.htm
- Jun 1996: A Response to Keeping it
Legal From Now On vol 5|No 7|June|1996 http://www.pacificrim.net/~mckenzie/jun96/legal.html
- Sep 1996: LANs and the Web as
writing tools On the Horizon. http://horizon.unc.edu/projects/monograph/K12/edited/Nellen.asp
- Sep 1996: Autumn Issue Kairos: Book Review of Crump/Carbone English
- Oct 1996: Mentoring
and the Internet in CMC Magazine October 1996. http://www.december.com/cmc/mag/1996/oct/nellen.html
- Nov 1996: Co-editor What Makes Teaching
- Dec 1996: Richard Wright Newsletter Vol 5, Number 1 Teaching Richard
Wright page 5
- Dec 1996: Ebonics Essay http://www.tnellen.com/ted/ebonics.html
- Jan 1997: The Writing Process on
the Internet article for The Well Connected
- Feb 1997: Spring Issue Kairos: Book Review
Hawisher's et al A History. http://english.ttu.edu/kairos/2.1/reviews/history/hawisher.html
- Feb 1997: Spring Issue Kairos: Robert Walls, Folk Hero?
- May 1997: Students Teach Teachers. Using student interns to
train teachers. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/intern.html
- Jul 1997: Email Mentoring:
Limitless Learning http://web.archive.org/web/20011223093743/http://www.millennaire.com/tmcmentor.html
- Jul 1997: Ted's Hypertext Haiku
Lesson for Online Writing Project at NCTE. http://web.archive.org/web/20020610203543/http://www.ncte.org/teach/owp/owp2/
- Aug 1997: Highlighted in EDsOasis http://www.classroom.com/edsoasis/Spotlight/Nellen/Nellen.html
- Sep 1997: Better Basics: Learning by Doing http://www.tnellen.com/ted/better_basic.html
- Oct 1997: Webmaster Removes AOL from Library's
Computer; NYTimes, Oct 19, 1997. http://web.archive.org/web/20041208114427/http://mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us/cybereng/nyt/aol.htm
- Jan 1998: How I got Started http://web.archive.org/web/20010417192856/http://www.techlearning.com/db_area/archives/WCE/archives/nellenb.htm
- Feb 1998: English Journal Surfing the Internet: Sink or
- Aug 1998: Student-Writers on the Web We don't need no
stinkin publishers, we got da web!! http://www.tnellen.com/ted/horizon.html
- Sep 1998: Writing in the Computer Age
in Well Connected Educator. http://web.archive.org/web/20010210234048/http://www.techlearning.com/db_area/archives/WCE/archives/nellenc.htm
- Nov-Dec 1998: Viewpoint: "Internet Censorship is Both a Menace and
a Nuisance" in Technology and
Learning page 53. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/filter.html
- Jan-Feb 1999: Cover Story MultiMedia Schools Magazine,
Teacher to Cybrarian
- Jan-Mar 1999: Book Review in WebNet Journal on Cyber Rights
by Mike Godwin.
- Feb 1999: Education
and Community in First
Monday a Peer-Reviewed Journal on the Internet. http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue4_2/nellen/index.html
- May/June 1999: School Executive "Opening
the Bottleneck of Technology Skills Among Staff." http://www.tnellen.com/ted/media.html
- Nov 1999: Weaving a
Virtual Web Edited by Sibylle Gruber, NCTE. Chapter "Using the web for high school student-writers." At NCTE
- Nov 1999: "Ted Nellen and Barry Sweeny: Perspectives on
- Jan 2000:
Thinking About the Future in Electronic-School http://web.archive.org/web/20060427040637/http://www.electronic-school.com/2000/01/0100f1part2.html
- Jan 2000: The PACE
Model for On-Line Teaching and Student Support in Learning
Technology publication of IEEE Computer Society. http://lttf.ieee.org/learn_tech/issues/january2000/#sabin
- Apr 2000:
Cyber Learning is Authentic Learning
in KAIROS 5.1. http://english.ttu.edu/kairos/5.1/binder.html?coverweb/nellenmayo/index.htm
- May 2000: Facing
- Sept 2000: CyberEnglish: The
- Sept 2000: Oklahoma English Journal Volume 15, #1, Fall 2000, Wired for short fiction http://www.tnellen.com/ted/short.html
- Oct 2000: Trends & Issues in Secondary English 2000 Edition, NCTE. Using the Web for HighSchool Student Writers
- Nov 2000: Technology &
Learning Expert Advice: Ted Nellen, Cyber-Renegade Interview
by Amy Poftak An online instructor talks about what it's like to go virtual and why he's left
the traditional classroom behind. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/NellenTL.pdf.
- Dec 2000: Education World In
My Opinion: The Filter Is Bad for Education http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech058.shtml
- Jan 2001: EdWEEK Army's New
Cyber-School Opens Doors For Online Learners http://web.archive.org/web/20010419234052/http://www.edweek.com/ew/ewstory.cfm?slug=16tech.h20
- Mar 2001: The teachers.net Gazette Wired For Short Fiction: A Paradigm
Shift For The 21St Century http://teachers.net/gazette/MAR01/nellen.html
- Apr 2001: The teachers.net Gazette
Using the Web for High School Student-Writers http://teachers.net/gazette/APR01/nellen.html
- July 2001: Part of Salon.com article: Microsoft
to schools: Give us your lunch money! http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/07/10/microsoft_school/index.html
- August 2001: In My
Opinion: Student Techies Keep Computers Running for Education World
- February 2002: Teachers Get By With a Little
Help From Our Friends -- and Critics! for "Voice of Experience" in Education World.
- February 2002: "Why hasn't technology changed education?" for
- April 2002: Chapter "Cybrarians and Scholars in the New English Classroom"
English, The: Teaching That Matters in Students' Lives
- November 2004: English Journal
"CyberEnglish" with Dawn Hogue, Nancy G. Patterson, and Patricia Schulze
- Apr 1996: Speaker/Presenter NCTE Spring Conference, Boston. Making Learning Happen on
the Internet. http://english.ttu.edu//kairos/1.2/news/reports/tedncte.html
- Jul 1996: July 11, 1996, NEACW Conference, Salem State College, Presenter http://www.tnellen.com/ted/salem.html
- Oct 1996: Presenter Virginia Tech's Mid Atlantic ACW conference,
4-5 Oct. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/vt.html
- Nov 1996: Presenter @ Hypermedia http://www.stg.brown.edu/conferences/HTT96/HTTpeople.html
- Apr 1997: Presenter The Internet and its Applications to High
School Teaching CUNY Conference http://www.tenllen.com/ted/test.html
- May 1997: Presenter @ Classroom Connect Conference http://www.tnellen.com/ted/vf.html
- May 1997: Presenter @ Our Mutual Estate Conference at Polytechnic University for
NYC Association of Assistant Principals of English on the subject of Hypertext http://www.tnellen.com/ted/mutual_estate.html
- Sep 1997: Integrating the Internet into the Classroom Conference at CUNY http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/japan/cuny.html
- Nov 1997: Technology Advisory Committee presentation. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/cornell.htm
- Nov 1997: The Evolution from English Teacher to Cybrarian Detroit
- May 1998: Presenter at Manhattan HS Technology
- Oct 1998: Hunter College ACE presentation. Using the
Internet & New Media in the Classroom. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/hunter98.html
- Nov 1998: On Becoming a Cybrarian School to Work Alliance
Conference at 55 Broad Street, NYC. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/becoming.html
- Nov 1998: NCTE Nashville 98 Convention. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/nashville98.html
- Feb 1999: COSN99 Washington, DC. Achieving Higher Standards http://www.tnellen.com/ted/cosn99/
- Mar 1999: TEACHNET Technology Curriculum Conference. Assessing Impact of Technology http://www.tnellen.com/ted/mar6.99.html
- Mar 1999: Computers In Libraries 99: Teacher Morphing into a Cybrarian Arlington, VA. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/cil99.html
- Mar 1999: School Tech Expo & Conf: Web Publishing with Kids, http://www.tnellen.com/ted/SchoolTech99.html
- May 1999: Trenton Computer Festival: Using the Wired Classroom. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/tcf99.html
- May 1999: Presenter @ Our Mutual Estate Conference at Polytechnic University for
NYC Association of Assistant Principals of English on the subject of Using Powerpoint http://www.tnellen.com/ted/nycaapse/
- May 1999: ACT II Aligning Classrooms and Technology Conference, Achieving Higher Standards http://www.tnellen.com/ted/act2/
- Jun 1999: Global Government Information Technology Summit: Impact of Technology in Education. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/ggits99/
- Aug 1999: Ball State University Institute for Teaching with
Computers: Pedagogy, Practice, and Technology of
- Nov 1999: Comsewogue School District's Superintendent
- Nov 1999: NCTE Denver 99. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/denver/
- Mar 2000: NYSCATE, 1st New York City Regional Conference, Cyber English.http://www.tnellen.com/ted/nyscate.html
- May 2000: CW2K, FtWorth
- Aug 2000: Global Government Information
Technology Summit #2: Traditional School vs Cyber School. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/pr2000/
- Nov 2000: Milwaukee NCTE Conference. Public Education: Taking
Education to the Public http://www.tnellen.com/ted/milw00/milw00_files/v3_document.htm
- Mar 2001: SchoolTech Expo, New York City. http://www.tnellen.com/ted/STExpo2001/
- May 2001: CW2001 @ Ball State
- June 2001: Alternative HS, NYC Summer
Institute 2001, presentation and workshops. http://www.tnellen.com/alt/
- July 2001: Carnegie Foundation presentation for Building the
Scholarship of Teaching: Teachers Creating Knowledge for Policy and Practice Conference
in collaboration with Coalition of Essential Schools and The National Writing Project. http://www.tnellen.com/carnegie/2001.ppt
- Nov 2001: NCTE, Baltimore Presentations
- June 2002: CAIS, Miss Porter's School Presentation
- Nov 2004: NCTE, Indianapolis Presentations
- Nov 2005: NCTE, Pittsburgh Presentations
- Nov 2007: NCTE, New York City Presentations
- May 2005 David Warlick Chats with Ted for Connect Learning.
- Jan 2006 Judyth Piazza Chats with Ted for Student Operated Press.
My Myers-Briggs Keirsay Temperament Results
I am a Colon
I'm very orderly and fact driven.|
I'm not concerned much with theories or dreams... only what's true or untrue.
I'm brilliant and incredibly learned. Anything I know is well researched.
I like to make lists and sort through things step by step. I'm not subject to whim or emotions.
My friends see me as a constant source of knowledge and advice.
(But they are a little sick of me being right all of the time!)
I excel in: Leadership positions
I get along best with: The Semi-Colon